Crust Enterprise Messaging User’s Guide
Welcome to Crust Enterprise Messaging!
This article goes through the basics of Crust Messaging and gives a general overview of the application. The objective is to help you start using it right away!
What is Crust Enterprise Messaging?
Crust Enterprise Messaging is a modern, private, secure enterprise messaging system which integrates seamlessly with Crust Unify, Crust CRM and Crust Compose. Its design is inspired by Slack, a popular cloud service.
Some of the major benefits of using Crust Enterprise Messaging include:
- Public or Private Channels for Team-based chat
- Keep project communications in one place
- Direct Messages to anyone in your team
- File sharing in any channel
- Reduce confusing clutter caused by long email chains
This is what a typical Messaging interface looks like:
The main features of Messaging are:
Channels are used to organise your conversations. They are located on the left hand side of the interface.
There are three different types of channels:
- Public Channels
- Private Channels
- Direct Messages
(Image: Channel Menu)
Public Channels are open to everyone who is signed up to Messaging. They are identified with a hashtag icon (“#”). Click on “Browse all Channels” at the bottom of the Public Channels list to search the full list of Public Channels available
Private Channels are for discussions that are limited to only selected team members. Private Channels are identified by a lock icon.
(Image: Close up of lock icon)
Direct Messages are discussions between two or more people. There is no channel name, only the names of the individuals. The Direct Message discussion is only visible to the people involved. Direct Messages are identified by the presence icon. If the presence icon is block green, then all members of the Direct Message discussion are online. If the presence icon has a green perimeter only, then only one or some of the members of the discussion are online. If the presence icon is grey, then no-one is available in the discussion.
Any channel can be hidden from interface by hovering the cursor over the channel name and clicking on the “x” to the right of the channel name. Removing the channel from the user interface does not delete the channel for you or for any other user.
(Image: Close up of “x”)
Crust makes Messaging your colleagues intuitive and user friendly.
Unread message count:
- The number of unread messages in a channel appears beside the channel name
To type a message:
- Messages are entered into the message bar at the bottom of the screen
To edit a message:
- Hover over the message with the cursor and click on the plus (“+”) sign that appears at the end of the message. Select “edit message”. This method works for all your messages
- While in the message bar, hit the Page Up key . This method only works for your most recent inputted message.
To delete a message:
- Hover over the message with the cursor and click on the plus (“+”) sign that appears at the end of the message. Select “delete message”.
To reply to a message:
- Hover over the message with the cursor and click on the speech bubble icon that appears at the end of the message.
- Replying to a message opens a side bar on the right of the screen called a message “Thread”. The unread message count in a thread appear in red underneath the original message.
To add an emoticon reaction:
- Hover over the message with the cursor and click on the emoticon (smiley) icon that appears at the end of the message. Click on the sign and choose from the emoticon menu presented.
“Mentioning” another user:
- Type the “@” sign and a user list will appear. Continue typing the first letters of the name of that person beside the “@” sign (with no spaces) and the list will reduce alphabetically to the name of the individual you wish to mention. Hit ENTER when you wish to select the user.
- The mentioned user gets sent a notification from you when they are mentioned.
Bookmarking a message:
- Hover over the message with the cursor and click on the bookmark icon that appears at the end of the message.
- Bookmarking a message allows you and only to view the bookmarked message in the right hand side bar.
- To view your bookmarked messages in any channel, select the channel controls in the top right hand corner (three vertical dots). Then select “Bookmarked Messages”.
- Bookmarked messages are highlighted with a green vertical bar to the right of the message in any channel.
Pinning a message:
- Hover over the message with the cursor and click on the pin icon that appears at the end of the message. Messages are pinned because they are important to everyone in the channel.
- Pinning a message everyone to view the pinned message in the right hand side bar.
- To view your pinned messages in any channel, select the channel controls in the top right hand corner (three vertical dots). Then select “Pinned Messages”.
- Bookmarked messages are highlighted with a yellow vertical bar to the right of the message in any channel.
- For rich message formatting, Crust supports Markdown inputs.
- A Markdown cheat sheet can be found at https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/wiki/Markdown-Cheatsheet
The Channel controls for any individual channel are in the top right corner of each channel. Click on the control icon (three vertical dots) to see the following options:
- Member List – View the existing members of a channel and to add new members
- Edit Channel – Edit Channel name and topic. View and Delete members.
- Pin Channel – Add this Channel to the top of the Channel Menu.
- Ignore Channel – Stop notifications for this Channel
- Remove Channel Flag – Remove Pin or Ignore status for this Channel
- Bookmarked Messages – View Bookmarked Message in Right Side Bar
- Pinned Messages – View Pinned Messages in Right Side Bar
- Leave Channel – Au Revoir!